Friday, October 29, 2010

Thoughts on teaching while pregnant

One of the reasons I decided to go into teaching is because I always thought it would be a great job to have if I had to be a working mom. I still believe this because teaching allows you to be home in the afternoons and evenings with your family. You get every weekend and holiday off. And of course you have the whole summer to play with your kids. It's also a job that provides good benefits. Yet as great as teaching is when you have to be or want to be a working mom I'm starting to think it's one of the worst jobs for being pregnant. The reasons being are:
- You can't cut back on your hours when you are huge, exhausted, swollen, and feel like your back may break at any moment
- You have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes but unfortunately your classes are 100
minutes long and the nearest bathroom is 100 yards away
- You have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning after a night of tossing and turning because no position is comfortable when your belly is that large
Even though it is getting really hard to work full time at this stage of my pregnancy, I'm very grateful for my job. It's been very hard but also rewarding and it's helped Ethan and I a lot. I was able to get Ethan in state tuition our first year because of my job. I also have good insurance through my job. We have both been very blessed since moving to ABQ and we are about to become a whole lot more blessed with the addition of our little guy in only 5 1/2 weeks! We are so excited and can't wait for it to be December 7th! Now if only I can find enough energy to finish the nursery!

1 comment:

Vincent and Erin said...

Hey, if you need help with anything let me know. I remember too well what it was like to be pregnant and working full time.