Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Our Baby Boy is Here!

Trey Daniel Thomas was born one week early on December 1st at 5:20 a.m after 28 long hours of labor! He weighed in at 6 pounds 9 ounces and measured 20.5 inches long. He couldn't be more perfect! I was hoping he would come early since his due date was a day before my husband started law school finals but because I really wanted him to come early I figured he would be a week late. Luckily he knew I needed him sooner. At 1:30 a.m. Tuesday morning I started feeling contractions that were 10 minutes apart. By 9:30 a.m. the contractions were close enough that we decided to head to the hospital. I was only dilated to a 2 but the contractions were getting really painful. The midwife told me that I was too tense and my body wasn't letting the contractions dilate me enough so she gave me some muscle relaxants and told me to go home, eat something, take a warm bath and have a nap. Then if I still had contractions to come back in. At that point I thought this isn't going to happen today and I told my mom she might want to postpone her flight out here. I tried the bath and the nap but after about 20 minutes at home I felt like the contractions were going to kill me so I told Ethan we had to go back. After waiting for about an hour to be seen they checked me and I had dilated a little more but because of how strong the contractions were they decided to get me into labor and delivery and give me an epidural so my body could relax. Luckily my mom came despite my doubt about the baby coming that day. I got my epidural around 6 p.m. on Tuesday and my blood pressure dropped. I couldn't breathe well because the drugs got up in my lungs so they put me on oxygen. We got that under control and then pretty soon after I started feeling the contractions again on the right side of my body. The anesthesiologist kept having to come back to give me more drugs. We figured out that the epidural was in the wrong spot but the anesthesiologist didn't want to fix it because he was worried I would get a spinal headache which are very painful and last a long time. So for about 9 hours I would get the contraction pain on my right side every 30 minutes to an hour and have to get more drugs. Finally at around 3 a.m. they gave me 3 extra doses of the epidural and it did nothing so the anesthesiologist decided he needed to take it out and redo it. Luckily it worked the second time and the relief I felt was amazing! 2 hours later I started pushing and I only pushed for 15-20 minutes before my little guy shot out - yes he literally shot out of me. The midwife had to scramble to catch him. It was crazy because before I started pushing I was going to ask my nurse if they have some kind of contraption to catch the baby in case he came out fast but then I thought it was a stupid question. Turns out he did fly out and I am just grateful the midwife did catch him. Unfortunately, because of the way he came out-so fast and all at once, I got 3rd almost 4th degree tears. It took the OBGYN 2 hours to stitch me all up. It was so hard not being able to hold or feed my baby because of the tears. Then after I went home I started feeling like something was wrong so we went back to the Dr. who stitched me up and found out that I got an infection that caused my stitches to dissolve. So now I have an open gaping wound that I will have to get reconstructive surgery on in about 2 months. Even though recovery has been difficult I would go through the whole thing 100 times to have my little guy with me. I am truly so grateful that these complications are happening to me and Trey is healthy and happy. I don't know if I could handle it if he were having medical issues. He is such an angel and has been a really good baby. My mom has been here with me since the labor and I really couldn't have done this without her. She has basically made me breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day while still taking care of Trey and me. Being a mom is the best thing ever. It's hard to describe the instant change that happens after you hold your baby for the first time but all I can say is that it is amazing! Ethan and I have been very blessed. So now here are some pictures of our little stud!

My first time holding my son - so incredible!

Daddy holding Trey while mommy gets stitched up

Trey with both his grandmas


Ashley W. said...

Trey is really cute. My favorite picture is of him sleeping all bundled up. I'm sorry to hear about all you are going through. It sounds so painful! Glad you have help! Can't wait for you to come up with Trey.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Yay!!! He is here! What a handsome little boy. Sorry your labor was so long and that your recovery has been a little rough. He is just perfect. Congratulations to you guys! This truly is what life is all about!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!! He is adorable. So sorry for the tearing!!! So glad he came at a good time though.

Grama Linda said...

Congratulations Mayce and Ethan! Trey is absolutely adorable!!! Hope you get feeling better soon Mayce, and we can't wait to see you all in a couple of weeks!
We love you!!!

Courtney said...

aaaahhh, you poor girl!!! I can completely relate to your recover minus the surgery to come. I had 4 degree tares also and I think nothing is worse. I really hope you're feeling better and that he keeps being an angel for you. can't wait to meet him!

Lisi said...

Congrats, Mayce! He is gorgeous. I am so happy for you, momma! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you can enjoy every moment with your new little guy. It goes by too fast!